[Taxacom] Patterns of homoplasy

John Grehan jgrehan at sciencebuff.org
Tue Aug 19 16:58:37 CDT 2008

My reading of orthogenesis was that it was originally conceptulaized as a hypothesis for a biological mechanism for evolutionary change (i.e. that evolution may occur even without natural selection), and was not confined in its scope to homoplasy.

In another respect, the problem of homoplasy may be exacerbated by the way characters are interpreted. The molecular phylogeny of humans and great apes, for example, generates quite an immense amount of 'homoplasy' in biological (non-nucleic acid) characters whereas the biological phylogeny does not.

John Grehan