[Taxacom] extended focus in images: Automontage, DPXView Pro EF,

Arturo H. Ariño artarip at unav.es
Fri Aug 22 04:00:00 CDT 2008

We use CombineZ regularly, as well as for digital imaging courses. When
properly coupled with good photographic practices and the appropriate
slicing protocol, results can be of print quality. In my view, it can often
surpass other inexpensive stacking algorithms such as that of ImageJ or
Astrostack. It may be not as user-friendly as Automontage and expects a
little deeper understanding of what it does, but then it is powerful: it
would be something of a Linux compared to a Windows.

You may want to see
http://www.unav.es/unzyec/papers/ARINO_Taxonomic_grade_images_CORRECTED_ABRI
DGED_edited.pdf (pages 114-115) and
http://www.unav.es/unzyec/papers/ARINO_Imaging_soil_mesofauna_CORRECTED_edit
ed.pdf (pages 214-218) for some comparisons and caveats.

Regards,

A.-

Dr. Arturo H. Ariño <artarip at unav.es> PGPID:0xFE08ED42
Prof., Theor. Ecology
Dept. Zoology & Ecology, University of Navarra
E-31080 Pamplona, Spain, EU
+34-948425600x6296 fax +34-948425649 www.unav.es/unzyec
Prof., Ciencias Ambientales
Dept. Ciencias, UNED, CA-Pamplona