[Taxacom] Machine-tagging Flickr images with taxonomic names

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Tue Feb 5 18:10:55 CST 2008

In message <1a9849d0802051347w766bf234n7c9de04ea1b5ee00 at mail.gmail.com>,
Ken-ichi <kenichi.ueda at gmail.com> writes

>This works:
>
>taxonomy:binomial=Alcedo_atthis
>
>(see http://flickr.com/photos/ken-ichi/2240715004/)

Thank you, but that too gets collapsed, as "helvellalacunosa"; try
selecting the tag's link and you'll get:

<http://flickr.com/photos/ken-ichi/tags/taxonomy%3Abinomial%3Dhelvellalacunosa/>

Nice picture, BTW!

Incidentally, several people kindly made the same suggestion, but by
writing to me directly. Perhaps the list can be reconfigured to default
to replying to the group; or people could just double check before
sending!

>I'd also be interested to hear about any conventions or emerging
>conventions on taxonomic tagging in folksonomies like Flickr.  I tend
>to just tag with genus and the binomial on Flickr, but some machine tag
>standard would definitely add a lot of value to Flickr as a
>biodiversity informatics resource.

I've also tagged my image with:

        taxonomy:genus=Alcedo

and:

        taxonomy:specific=atthis

but I suppose others might use:

        taxonomy:epithet=atthis

and even "binominal" instead of "binomial",

Oh why do we make things so complicated!

--
Andy Mabbett

            *  Are you using Microformats, yet: <http://microformats.org/> ?