[Taxacom] DNA extraction from herbarium specimens

Maarten Christenhusz maachr at utu.fi
Wed Feb 6 01:45:12 CST 2008

Dear all,

Our team has found that the best results for DNA extraction from herbarium specimens is by using the DNeasy Plant Mini Kit (Qiagen) with slight modifications to  the manufacturer’s protocol (30 min incubation, 450 l of AP1, 50 l of AE, 10 min elution), which was suggested in Drábková, L., Kirschner, J. & Vlcek, C. 2002. Comparison of seven DNA extraction and amplification protocols in historical herbarium specimens of Juncaceae. Plant Mol. Biol. Reptr. 20: 161–175.
In some cases PCR amplification resulted in concentration of DNA that was too low to be sequenced. In these cases another PCR was run: the PCR product of first PCR run was used as a template for the second PCR run.

I hope this helps,

Maarten Christenhusz