[Taxacom] Machine-tagging Flickr images with taxonomic names

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Wed Feb 6 02:21:52 CST 2008

Flickr allows you to tag photos with tags that include spaces, but
collapses them when saving the tag. You can still retrieve the photo
with the tag that includes white space. For example

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/diomedeaexulans/

and

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/diomede%20aexulans/

retrieve albatross photos. I can insert spaces pretty much wherever I
like and still get the same pictures. Hence, users could still
recover pictures using the original binomial tag (i.e., the species
name).

It would be interesting to know how many collisions this might cause.
In other words, how many times does deleting the white space from two
different binomials result in the same text string? Sounds like
something uBio could answer very quickly. If the answer is "not
many", then I don't see a problem with people simply tagging photos
with regular tags (and/or bionomials as machine tags).

Regards

Rod

On 6 Feb 2008, at 00:10, Andy Mabbett wrote:

> In message
> <1a9849d0802051347w766bf234n7c9de04ea1b5ee00 at mail.gmail.com>,
> Ken-ichi <kenichi.ueda at gmail.com> writes
>
>> This works:
>>
>> taxonomy:binomial=Alcedo_atthis
>>
>> (see http://flickr.com/photos/ken-ichi/2240715004/)
>
> Thank you, but that too gets collapsed, as "helvellalacunosa"; try
> selecting the tag's link and you'll get:
>
> <http://flickr.com/photos/ken-ichi/tags/taxonomy%3Abinomial%
> 3Dhelvellalacunosa/>
>
> Nice picture, BTW!
>
> Incidentally, several people kindly made the same suggestion, but by
> writing to me directly. Perhaps the list can be reconfigured to
> default
> to replying to the group; or people could just double check before
> sending!
>
>> I'd also be interested to hear about any conventions or emerging
>> conventions on taxonomic tagging in folksonomies like Flickr.  I tend
>> to just tag with genus and the binomial on Flickr, but some
>> machine tag
>> standard would definitely add a lot of value to Flickr as a
>> biodiversity informatics resource.
>
> I've also tagged my image with:
>
>         taxonomy:genus=Alcedo
>
> and:
>
>         taxonomy:specific=atthis
>
> but I suppose others might use:
>
>         taxonomy:epithet=atthis
>
> and even "binominal" instead of "binomial",
>

> Oh why do we make things so complicated!
>
> --
> Andy Mabbett
>
>             *  Are you using Microformats, yet: <http://
> microformats.org/> ?