[Taxacom] Machine-tagging Flickr images with taxonomic names

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Thu Feb 7 16:54:00 CST 2008

In message <1a9849d0802070030s503e01cap3717d836649c1a7e at mail.gmail.com>,
Ken-ichi Ueda <kueda at ischool.berkeley.edu> writes

>I've been working with the Catalogue of Life 2007 data (http://www.cata
>logueoflife.org), so I figured I'd run a query to see how many name
>collisions came up when you concatenate binomials. Assuming I did this
>correctly, there are actually very few collisions within the CoL data
>for binomials.  The only ones I found seem to be typos, mostly
>involving whitespace.  The CoL data certainly aren't comprehensive at
>the species level, but they do have 978,880 distinct, accepted names.
>
>Here what I did, and the result

That's really interesting; thank you.

Since there are only a few examples, and since technology now makes it
easy to trap them; I wonder whether it would be worth the relevant
bodies updating the taxonomic codes to prevent them from occurring in
future?

--
Andy Mabbett

            *  Are you using Microformats, yet: <http://microformats.org/> ?