[Taxacom] Definition of Checklist

Weitzman, Anna WEITZMAN at si.edu
Tue Feb 12 11:46:07 CST 2008

Hi David,

Oddly enough (or perhaps not so oddly) I've just been facing the same
question in my work on INOTAXA/taXMLit so your message compelled me to
take a stab at analyzing the question using my experience as both a
taxonomist and an informaticist.

We taxonomists have lumped a lot of variation under the term 'checklist'
and as I've thought about how to respond, I have come to the thought
that perhaps we can think of 'checklists' as being one part of a
continuum of ways taxonomists treat/publish information on taxa.

I suggest one way of dealing with this is to ask our colleagues on
taxacom to help us complete a list the different 'properties' of
checklists.

So, I'll make a start on such a list of properties of checklists (a
'straw man' list/definition for others to help refine):

1) All have some defined taxonomic scope (e.g., 'higher' plants,
Curculionoidea, Fish, 'all' organisms (in the case of the IUCN redlist))

2) All have some defined geographic scope (e.g., The Guianas, The Amazon
Rainforest, Africa, China, the world)

3) All are have some way of organizing taxa (e.g., a taxonomic
classification (not necessarily one that the author(s) believe in, as
often one of convenience), alphabetically, or a mix of classification at
higher levels and alphabetic below a certain level (e.g., family,
genus))

4) All list taxa recognized by the checklist's author(s) at some level
(usually species, though often genera or even families; reasons for such
recognition/circumscription are nearly always implicit)

5) Most contain some information about authorship of the names listed
(which implies information about availability/validity)

6) Most contain some information about the geographical
distribution/occurrence of the taxa

7) Some contain synonymy (often partial, focusing on names that have
been used within the defined geographic scope).  Synonymy may include
vernacular names and may or may not include information about places of
publication.

8) Rarely contain identification assistance, including keys, images of
examples of important features, sometimes chromosome numbers and soon, I
expect, DNA barcodes

9) Rarely contain diagnostic information about the taxa

I would say that 1-3 could also describe a nomenclator (though a
nomenclator will also contain the authorship (5) and place of
publication (7) components that may be missing from checklists) and once
one starts adding things like in 8 or 9, it edges toward a
flora/fauna/field guide (which depends on the level of technical detail
included, e.g., field guides often omit most or all of 5 & 7).

Adding more components (e.g., specimens examined, full descriptions,
complete synonymy) edges toward a monograph/revision in scope.

Once we have such a list, then a few of us can look at the metadata
and/or data elements in each to define a model for them (separately or
together depending on the purpose).

Cheers,
Anna

Anna L Weitzman, PhD
Botany & Biodiversity Informatics Research
National Museum of Natural History
Smithsonian Institution