[Taxacom] Definition of Checklist

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Tue Feb 12 12:30:20 CST 2008

Anna Weitzman wrote:

>7) Some contain synonymy (often partial, focusing on names that have
>been used within the defined geographic scope).  Synonymy may include
>vernacular names and may or may not include information about places of
>publication.

Isn't this one of the primary features that distinguishes a checklist
from a catalog? Maybe there's a formal definition somewhere (or not),
but I'd thought that catalogs were circumscribed name lists that
included a complete taxonomic/nomenclatural history of the names
within. At the very least, it occurs to me that it is probably more
clear-cut as to what is required for something to be a "catalog",
leaving "checklist" to be defined essentially as NOT being a catalog.
About the only things I can think of that are *essential* to a
checklist are that it contains a list of recognizable scientific
names, and that this list be complete within the taxonomic/geographic
circumscription given (Anna's features 1 and 2, with 3 and 4 being
implicit, rather than defining features). So, to my understanding,
David's "simple end" example ("flat lists of species that fall within
a regional or thematic context") would generally qualify as
checklists as long as they are *complete* lists. A work like the
"Nomina Insecta Nearctica" might qualify as a catalog, albeit as
crude a catalog as is conceivable, as it gives ONLY synonymies and
such. The question then is whether a catalog should be defined as
MORE than just a list of names and their usage history.

I've never seen a publication that called itself a "nomenclator", so
to me this is an abstract concept, and I find it hard to imagine how
one would produce a nomenclator that was NOT also a checklist, unless
one decided that a checklist - by definition - had a geographical
circumscription where a nomenclator did not, and that "the world" was
NOT a geographical circumscription.

Peace,