[Taxacom] Definition of Checklist

Thompson, Chris Chris.Thompson at ARS.USDA.GOV
Tue Feb 12 12:58:06 CST 2008

David:

Times never change.

Twenty years ago I answered that question in a short article. See
Thompson, F. C. and L. Knutson 1987. Catalogues, checklists and lists: A
need for some definitions, new words, and ideas. Antenna 11:131-134

This is available as a pdf document online at
http://www.sel.barc.usda.gov/Diptera/people/fctpubs.htm

Our bottom line was abandon the terms checklist, catalog, etc. and use
DATABASE. And that is why we call ourselves the BIOSYSTEMATIC DATABASE
OF WORLD DIPTERA, etc.

Unfortunately our colleagues still cling to the old terms and
conflicting definitions.

Oh, well ...

F. Christian Thompson
Systematic Entomology Lab., ARS, USDA