[Taxacom] Definition of Checklist

Robin Leech releech at telusplanet.net
Tue Feb 12 14:09:28 CST 2008

To  come into this foray at a late date, I mention that Birders keep
checklists.  These are the birds that a birder has seen, and which he/she
checks off
as each new bird is seen.
A birder's checklist is not necessarily for any one particular biological
region.  An Alberta
birder, for example, will fly to Ontario or even Newfoundland to see a bird
that has "blown
in" and which is some thousands of km off course.  Once the errant bird has
been seen, the
checklist is marked.  So, to a birder, a checklist is a personal list, sort
of an ego list.
Robin