[Taxacom] Definition of Checklist

Chris Lyal C.lyal at nhm.ac.uk
Tue Feb 12 15:51:08 CST 2008

I'd like to follow up on Anna's 'continuum' comment.  It is apparent even from the answers so far that the concept of 'checklist' is fuzzy, so why do we want it in an informatics context?  Do we not simply want to list the metadata elements that pertain to names and gatherings of names and go from there to prioritise and select what we want?

So to build on Anna's list, we might have:

1. Source.  This may be tiered (e.g. Catalogue of Life - Species 2000 - Tickbase) or citing a single source.  It may provide the anchor for concepts as noted below.

2. Scope (taxonomic).  This is pretty obvious, except that it relies on a more or less well-defined taxonomic view.  "Curculionoidea" is OK because there is no dispute about the included taxa.  Even so, it would be worth anchoring that with an author and date because the concept may change in future.  "Curculionidae" demands qualification now, because there are at least two different concepts of Curculionidae current today.  "weevils" = Curculionoidea (although "seed weevils" = Bruchidae, so one still needs a concept reference).

3. Scope (geographic).  Again, unequivocal for the most part, except that geographic names change through time so again a concept must be identified.  (e.g. TDWG, Alexandria Digital Library etc).

4. Scope (other).  I'm running into trouble here, since there are a large number of other descriptors out there  (e.g. 'forest pests', 'trees', 'invasive species', 'protected species', 'pollinators', CITES listed'). I think these metadata will be of considerable use in future as we amalgamate our checklists (sensu lato) and build for repurposing of the same core data set. Some of these operate only in another context (e.g. 'invasive species in Thailand').  Again, anchoring to a concept statement will be important.

5. Content (names).  At the most simplistic end of the scale is a list of names, with no other content.

6. Content (authorship).

7. Content (date of publication).

8. Content (place of publication).  This could be anything from a microcitation (e.g. Lyal, 2008) to a full bibliographic reference, the latter with or without the full MODS metadata.

9. Scrutiny level.  Sources and spellings may have been garnered from another secondary source or the primary source, so metadata here will include that check and perhaps who checked it and when (could be the source).

10. Content: Nomenclature / code compliance.  This will include metadata about the edition of the relevant Code and any Articles of that Code pertinent.

11. Content:  Synonyms.  This list of names has all the potential additions in 6-10 above, with the addition of who created the synonymy.  I'm including combinations here, as well as rank changes.

12. Content:  different concepts / usages.

13. Content: Organisational rules (including taxonomic relationships) as Anna set out: (e.g., a taxonomic classification (not necessarily one that the author(s) believe in, as often one of convenience), alphabetically, or a mix of classification at higher levels and alphabetic below a certain level (e.g., family, genus))

Cheers,

Chris