[Taxacom] Definition of Checklist

Weitzman, Anna WEITZMAN at si.edu
Tue Feb 12 16:36:52 CST 2008

Hi all,

Arthur makes an interesting suggestion.

Whether or not we try to create definitions going forward, we also face
the problem of what all the attributes are for existing works so that we
can add appropriate metadata to online search mechanisms (such as David
R and I are working on) to allow users to understand the data they are
using and also to find the most appropriate data.

So, two questions to the list:

1) what are all the attributes that we should include in such a matrix
as Arthur suggests?

2) is there a desire for a survey and possibly standardized definitions
of the categories going forward?  If so, I can easily host it here at
the Smithsonian as soon as we have the list of attributes (and
categories).

Note: While I agree with Chris Thompson that these are all databases, it
is still useful and necessary to define what is in the databases.  Also,
I suspect that we will always use such terms in the titles of works, so
perhaps some standardization would be useful going forward.

And thanks Chris for pointing us to a very useful and interesting
analysis.  I was pleased to see a number of things that had occurred to
me validated by your research (such as the difference in terminology and
usage between Entomologists and the rest of us).

Cheers,

Anna