[Taxacom] Definition of Checklist

Daly, Doug ddaly at nybg.org
Tue Feb 12 17:15:53 CST 2008

No offense, but I don't see the term "data-base" making anything
clearer, considering how many kinds of d-bases there are out there, and
considering a checklist or catalogue or whatever is simply the output of
a data-base.  I agree with the need to define terms.  In practice in
botany, among recent products I have seen, checklists tend to be pretty
stripped down, just lists of species without much additional
information, whereas catalogues have more types of data associated with
each taxon (synonyms, habit, distribution, uses, etc.) and often include
exposition, i.e., a substantial amount of text.
	Best,
	Douglas Daly

Douglas C. Daly, Ph.D.

Director, Institute of Systematic Botany;

B. A. Krukoff Curator of Amazonian Botany

The New York Botanical Garden

            tel.        718-817-8660

            fax        718-817-8648

            e-mail   ddaly at nybg.org