[Taxacom] Fwd: complete list of all species

Donna Ford-Werntz dford2 at wvu.edu
Wed Feb 13 14:42:01 CST 2008

P.S. I probably should have noted that this message was initially posted (not by me) to a regional invasive plants list.  It is possible that the requestor may "only" be interested in pest biota (still a difficult task), though the wording is not clear.  DFW

>>> "Donna I. Ford-Werntz" <dford2 at wvu.edu> 02/13/08 1:24 PM >>>
Taxacomers, The message below didn't generate much on our local listserve,
so I'm forwarding it for wider consideration.  Please reply to original
sender.
>From: "gokhan atila" <gattilla at gmail.com>
>Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 22:25:03 +0200
>I am an amateur researcher and I need a complete list of all species.
>I prefer it to be in excel format with the following columns:
>* scientific name
>* common names
>* Synonyms
>* TSN (taxonomic serial number)
>* classifications (taxonomic hierarchy)
>* geographic division
>* origin
>* taxon author / year
>.... (what else necessary)
>Maybe it's hard to find a complete list for all species. But I think only
>animals may be easier.
>I found some sources: <http://www.itis.gov>www.itis.gov,
><http://www.catalogueoflife.org>www.catalogueoflife.org,
><http://www.gbif.org>www.gbif.org, <http://www.sp2000.org>www.sp2000.org
>But couldn't find yet what I exactly need.
>I would be glad if you can help me in finding such kind of a list.
>thanks,gokhan

Donna I. Ford-Werntz     West Virginia Univ.

Herbarium Curator (WVA)  Box 6057

Assoc. Prof. Biol.       Morgantown, WV 26506

5230 Life Sciences       293-5201 X31549
email: dford2 at wvu.edu    fax: (304)293-6363

Web site at http://www.as.wvu.edu/biology/