[Taxacom] List of Orders of the world

Joel Hallan joelhallan at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 13 18:59:50 CST 2008

In order to solve a problem, one must start in the beginning.

Is there a web site that shows all the orders of the world arranged phylogenetically with approximate numbers of recent and fossil species and genera?
I think that there are approximately 2500 of these.

Is there a web site that shows all the familiesof the world arranged phylogenetically with approximate numbers of recent and fossil species and genera?
I think that there are 25,000 of these.

Is there a web site that shows all the genera of the world arranged phylogenetically with approximate numbers of recent and fossil species and genera?
My guess is that there are about 200,000 of these that represent names in current usage [valid names] and another 100,000 that are synonyms and misspellings.

For the Viruses, Bacteria, Plants and Fungi this is true.  The Plant and Fungi database was started a long time ago.  They first created a list of authors, then a list of the literature and finally a list of the genera.

Some individual animal groups have this, but not all.  Does anyone know what percentage of groups have this for the animals?

When we have this for the animals, then we can work on the species.

Joel Hallan

Biology Catalog at Texas A & M University

http://insects.tamu.edu/research/collection/hallan