[Taxacom] List of Orders of the world

David Remsen dremsen at gbif.org
Thu Feb 14 05:24:40 CST 2008

On Feb 14, 2008, at 1:59 AM, Joel Hallan wrote:

> In order to solve a problem, one must start in the beginning.
>
> Is there a web site that shows all the orders of the world arranged
> phylogenetically with approximate numbers of recent and fossil
> species and genera?
> I think that there are approximately 2500 of these.
>
> Is there a web site that shows all the familiesof the world arranged
> phylogenetically with approximate numbers of recent and fossil
> species and genera?
> I think that there are 25,000 of these.
>
> Is there a web site that shows all the genera of the world arranged
> phylogenetically with approximate numbers of recent and fossil
> species and genera?
> My guess is that there are about 200,000 of these that represent
> names in current usage [valid names] and another 100,000 that are
> synonyms and misspellings.

In this case, yes there is.  Some work has been done to develop an
index of all the genera.  Tony Rees has been working on a list of
genera http://www.obis.org.au/irmng/ and GBIF has funded some initial
work on developing an All Genus Index.  The current estimate from the
latter is closer to 400,000 than 300,000 based on a collation of
genera indices from a number of nomenclatural sources.   We will
proceed with its refinement over the course of next 6 months.  While a
comprehensive list of genera arranged within some phylogenetic
structure would be a very useful referent dataset, we have very
practical and applied usages for such a structure that motivate us to
proceed.

> For the Viruses, Bacteria, Plants and Fungi this is true.  The Plant
> and Fungi database was started a long time ago.  They first created
> a list of authors, then a list of the literature and finally a list
> of the genera.

By "this" do you mean a list of genera?