[Taxacom] Definition of Checklist

Don.Colless at csiro.au Don.Colless at csiro.au
Thu Feb 14 21:05:31 CST 2008

-----Original Message-----
From:	taxacom-bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu on behalf of Roger Hyam (TDWG)
Sent:	Wed 13-Feb-08 9:34 PM
To:	Daly, Doug
Cc:	Thompson, Chris; taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
Subject:	Re: [Taxacom] Definition of Checklist

Roger Hyam wrote:
I think this is why we can't define what a checklist is. It changes
its nature depending on the intention of the user. People will use the
same list for different purposes.

Roger has it right. The notion of a hard and fast "definition" that lists necessary and sufficient conditions for mundane application of a name, is a chimera.  Aristotle has a lot to answer for! The envelope drawn around the name will always be (and SHOULD be) as variable in detail as the intentions and requirements of authors and users.