[Taxacom] complete list of all species

Jody Haynes jody at plantapalm.com
Fri Feb 15 07:40:56 CST 2008

Not necessarily, Paul. The data retrieved from any database is only as good
as the data that are put in... and, since we are human after all, mistakes
can (and do) happen. I recently attended an international conference on my
group of interest, and one researcher made mention of the fact that she was
unable to reproduce the sequences generated by another researcher using the
same methods and primers. In another instance, the Genbank sequence was fine
(and reproducible) but the species was mislabeled when it was entered into
Genbank.

On another note, I find Jim's comment "[t]axonomists literally don't know
what they're talking about" somewhat offensive. It is true that not all
taxonomists are intimately familiar with their organisms of choice in
habitat, and this can sometimes lead to mistakes in descriptions or
circumscriptions. But making such a blanket statement is both inaccurate and
unfair, IMO.

Jody