[Taxacom] complete list of all species

Jody Haynes jody at plantapalm.com
Fri Feb 15 08:31:32 CST 2008

I realized that I mistakenly blamed Jim for your comment right after I sent
my message... and for that I apologize.

I still disagree with your blanket statement in reference to ALL taxonomists
not knowing what they are talking about. I am not a taxonomist by training,
but I do some taxonomy, and I believe there are taxonomists out there who do
know what they are talking about -- just as much as a chemist might know
about chlorine (although I also don't believe your comparison between the
biological sciences and the "hard" sciences is necessarily fair either). I
also believe that there are reproducible descriptions and circumscriptions
of taxa -- as well as some that are not reproducible. Taxonomy is obviously
subjective... but that does not necessarily make it unreproducible.