[Taxacom] complete list of all species

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Fri Feb 15 11:36:05 CST 2008

Jody Haynes observed:

>Not necessarily, Paul. The data retrieved from any database is only as good
>as the data that are put in... and, since we are human after all, mistakes
>can (and do) happen. I recently attended an international conference on my
>group of interest, and one researcher made mention of the fact that she was
>unable to reproduce the sequences generated by another researcher using the
>same methods and primers. In another instance, the Genbank sequence was fine
>(and reproducible) but the species was mislabeled when it was entered into
>Genbank.

[snip]

More to the point, all genes are not created - nor evolved - equal.
Those in the mitochondrial genome, for instance (like the infamous
COI) have proven in a number of taxa to be poor for identifying or
delimiting species; in insects, the prevalence of symbiotic Wolbachia
evidently leads to considerable shuffling of mtDNA across species
boundaries such that single species can have many different COI
sequences, or multiple species can all possess identical COI.
Clearly, there is nothing inherently more reproducible about genetic
data, at least not if it is mitochondrial in origin, and believing
otherwise is a fallacy we would all do well to avoid if we ever hope
to objectively compile a list of the planet's biota.

Peace,