[Taxacom] complete list of all species

Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 15:56:59 CST 2008

the word 'opinion' gets used a lot in taxonomy and it makes me squirm
every time I hear it.  Opinion carries with it subjectivity, and even
whim, and has general pejorative connotations in the context of
science.  When describing ambiguity, words like concept,
circumscription, delineation, etc. somehow sound more objective, less
emotive and more...  well, scientific...

That said, I just love that by documenting and attributing an
expressed opinion, no matter how outrageous, the database can store
and manage the fact of that opinion... :)

jim