[Taxacom] Justifying species?

Curtis Clark jcclark-lists at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 16 21:32:48 CST 2008

On 2008-02-16 18:47, Bob Mesibov wrote:
> Here we have taxonomists explicitly considering varied species concepts
> and using their character evidence to build what I might call a
> 'defense' of their decision to erect new species. *In other words, the
> more species concepts the taxon fits, the greater the justification for
> naming it a Linnean species.*
>
> I haven't seen this philosophical approach to erecting new species
> before. Is it becoming more common now?

I hope so, not because there is any value in having species concepts
"vote", but rather because the exercise requires careful attention to
the data, which is always a good thing.

Back when I did botany for a living, I also used multifaceted arguments
for submerging or elevating species, although not with direct reference
to species concepts.