[Taxacom] Justifying species?

Dick Jensen rjensen at saintmarys.edu
Sun Feb 17 14:01:42 CST 2008

I am inclined to agree with Jody.  There is no harm done by explaining how the species I recognize fits with different species concepts.  Historically, this was not a great problem, but today it is no longer adequate to declare, as Bob suggests, that 'It's a species because I'm an experienced taxonomist and I say it's a species.'

This may reflect the need to justify species designations in the contect of what is politically expedient and necessary.  Is the Florida panther a species or subspecies?  It is important, under many existing laws, for endangered taxa to be recognized as species and the greater the justification for declaring a taxonomic entity to be a species, the more likely it is to be eligible for protection.

Cheers,

Dick J

Richard Jensen, Professor
Department of Biology