[Taxacom] Species names

Thomas G. Lammers lammers at uwosh.edu
Mon Feb 18 08:54:12 CST 2008

At 08:38 AM 2/18/2008, James L. Reveal wrote:
>However, be aware, that when dealing with suprageneric names which are
>mononomials they should be treated as plurals, e.g., The Campanulaceae are

Indeed.  I think the confusion comes in because we sometimes use the family
name as a noun in apposition to its rank, which is then the actual subject
of the sentence, e.g., "The family Campanulaceae is ..."   As a result,
"Campanulaceae is" does not grate on our ears as it should.

Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.

Associate Professor and Curator of the Herbarium (OSH)
Department of Biology and Microbiology
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901-8640 USA

e-mail:       lammers at uwosh.edu