[Taxacom] Family names are plural. Period

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Tue Feb 19 14:24:26 CST 2008

I agree with almost everything Michael Ivie writes below, except for two
statements:

"...the usage is simply incorrect..."

and

"...but it is simply wrong."

To me, this is akin to saying:

"Treating Aus bus as a synonym of Aus xus is simply wrong."

In my view, words are like "species", in that both are created by humans to
help facilitate communication. Certainly, in both cases (species and words)
their effectiveness as tools of communication is a function of stability and
consistency of usage. Nevertheless, the definitions and meanings are not
universal, and can evolve over time. Just as I avoid thinking in terms of
absolutes when discussing species, I acknowledge that questions concerning
"correct" grammar must also be answered in the context of space and time
(and among whom communication is being attempted).

Obviously, there is variation in the degree of assertiveness.  Most of us
would nod in agreement with the statement, "Treating Homo sapiens as a
synonym of Tyrannosaurus rex is simply wrong"; just as we would collectively
brand the statement "I are feeling good" as grammatically incorrect.  At the
other end of the spectrum, the statement, "Treating Centropyge flavicauda as
a synonym of C. fisheri is simply wrong", is open to debate. Likewise, I
don't think the grammar police will come down too hard on me when I say,
"Hopefully, this thread will come to an end soon."

Them's be my opinions, anyway.

:-)

Aloha,
Rich