[Taxacom] Grammar and punctuation. was Family names ...

Edwards, G.B. edwardg at doacs.state.fl.us
Tue Feb 19 15:51:38 CST 2008

I don't recall now how this thread got started, but I do recall that
someone noted that it had been addressed before.  I may not have
belonged to this list long enough to see my personal pet peeve addressed
before, if it was, so here goes...

Numerous journals (fortunately, not the majority) use improper
punctuation in their title format, e.g., (Araneae, Salticidae).  The
proper way to write it is (Araneae: Salticidae).  This is a nested
hierarchical sequence, and the correct way to indicate such is with a
colon; categories of equal rank are separated by a comma.  The CBE style
manual says so.  Basic English punctuation (and I would imagine other
languages as well) says so, e.g., we use it every day when indicating
time (09:32:16 = hours:minutes:seconds).  Yet some journals, in the name
of their own style, feel free to ignore this.  Others opt to use it only
under certain circumstances, i.e., they can't even use a standard format
even if it's wrong.  Please.

Undoubtedly there are some people who feel my objections are trivial.
If this is your view, feel free to not respond.  My take on it is that
it is unscholarly, that it is a lackadaisical format that promotes a
lack of adherence to a scholarly presentation of data, and at its
extreme, could undermine the credibility of a journal.  After all, if a
journal can't even follow basic rules of punctuation, who's knows what
it will publish?  Ok, I'm going overboard, but gosh, what is so hard
about following the rules?  There's not even anything to debate here,
not whether it's singular or plural, nothing.

Rant over.  ;-)

--
G. B. Edwards, Ph.D.  [Your Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman]
Curator: Arachnida (except Acari), Myriapoda, Terrestrial Crustacea,
(352) 372-3505 x194; fax (352) 334-0737; edwardg at doacs.state.fl.us
http://fsca.entomology.museum/Arachnida/ArachnidaFrame.htm