[Taxacom] Family names, usage.

Michael A. Ivie mivie at montana.edu
Wed Feb 20 10:53:22 CST 2008

I would like to point out that I myself am guilty of being "wrong" in
this usage of family-group names as plural.  I have actually caught
myself publishing this form, and in speech, which is sloppy in America,
I do it all the time.  This is not my point, I am simply arguing what is
grammatically correct is very clear, but listen to any American speak,
and you will see we revel in being "wrong."  Of course, the poster boy
for this approach to accepting incorrect English is George Bush....

Not my preferred role model. :-)

When an editor or reviewer points out an error of any sort, they are
doing us a favor, not oppressing us, and should be thanked for their
efforts, even if we do not follow their advice.

Mike

Spies, Martin wrote:

>Thomas G. Lammers wrote:
>

>>And as long as none of them insist I change all my plural verbs to
>>singular, I care not what others do.  As long as I can be "right," the
>>others are free to be "wrong" if they so desire.
>>

>Looks like the tired old tactic of deriding the other person when you've
>run out of arguments.
>None of the contributors who've happened to come in on what you perceive
>as the other side on this issue fit the bill you just tried to present
>them with.

NOTE NEW ADDRESS (As of 01/01/2007 DO NOT USE OLD P.O. BOX ADDRESS):

Michael A. Ivie, Ph.D., F.R.E.S.

For Postal Service, FedEx, UPS or Freight Delivery:

Montana Entomology Collection
Marsh Labs, Room 50
Montana State University
1901 S. 19th Ave