[Taxacom] Family names are plural. Period

Spies, Martin spies at zi.biologie.uni-muenchen.de
Thu Feb 21 04:59:42 CST 2008

The funny cartoon Jim Croft referred to could have made a nice
conclusion if what it makes fun of were the main subject or problem in
this/these thread/s. In my view, however, that is not the case (nor is
it with Karl Magnacca's 'Pedantidae' quip). Neither have I read any of
the contributions as trying to be right at all cost, nor has there been
a lack of larger, deeper issues beyond myopic over-attention to
meaningless details. (Not that the latter doesn't occur, or isn't even
to be expected in a community of taxonomists. ;-) )

It is somewhat disappointing, though, that greater than 95 % of the
plural/singular discussion has favored formalities over content. All the
various explanatory texts quoted yesterday about 'data is/data are', for
example, expand upon who uses which how frequently. Nothing about the
chances diversity in formal expression offers to conveying (nuances of)
meaning.

How easy things could be if we could simply read authors' phrases such
as 'Tenebrionidae are' or 'data is' as reflecting precisely which of the
various specific aspects of the item so named the author focused on in
the respective sentence, rather than having to reckon with the
considerable likelihood that such wording doesn't reflect any particular
thought detail, but instead the formalism 'school' the author follows or
the formalistic restrictions an editor may have imposed.

We look at details of bodily shapes or genetic structure in hopes of
those 'formalities' telling us something about biological meaning. Why
not practise the same in language, both as responsible authors and
conscious readers?

A dream world? Pedantry? If so, I'd quite proudly wear a label of
'pedantic dreamer'.

Cheers

--
Martin Spies