[Taxacom] Family names are plural. Period

Mike Dallwitz m.j.dallwitz at netspeed.com.au
Thu Feb 21 06:08:56 CST 2008

> The funny cartoon Jim Croft referred to could have made a nice
> conclusion if what it makes fun of were the main subject or problem
> in this/these thread/s.

It _is_ the main problem! Expert opinion is quite clear that collective
nouns can be either singular or plural in construction - see, for example,
the links I gave in an earlier posting. Obviously the same reasoning can be
applied to taxonomic names, whether or not they are strictly collective
nouns. But 95% of the contributors to the discussion (Martin's figure) know
that the experts are wrong.

--
Mike Dallwitz
Contact information: http://delta-intkey.com/contact/dallwitz.htm