[Taxacom] Family names are plural. Period.

Edwards, G.B. edwardg at doacs.state.fl.us
Thu Feb 21 08:24:08 CST 2008

Martin, we all know that it is human nature to resist change.  But
having said that, I agree with Rich, Dick, and, in particular, Neal's
last post.  It is context (collective vs individual) that now determines
the verb form, whether it be a family name or data, not the strict form
of the noun.  That seems like progress to me.  So, despite and with all
respect to Laurent's just posted message, I think there are instances
where a singular verb with a plural noun can be justified, e.g., see
Rich's examples.
--
G. B. Edwards
Florida State Collection of Arthropods