[Taxacom] eol down

Curtis Clark jcclark-lists at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 28 01:10:48 CST 2008

On 2008-02-27 17:11, Jim Croft wrote:
> mentioned on shlashdot.org - server apparently could not handle the
> subsequent shashdot attack...
>
> sometimes publicity can be too successful...:)

We got slashdotted a few years ago (Map of Springfield, now at
http://mapofspringfield.com); we could handle the bandwidth but not the
number of simultaneous sessions, so the sysadmin for our web servers
took each of the three out of the load balancer one at a time and
recompiled Apache for a much larger limit. A former colleague referred
to that sort of thing as "changing the spark plugs with the engine running".