[Taxacom] endings in -fer and -ger

Richard Zander Richard.Zander at mobot.org
Fri Feb 29 15:50:10 CST 2008

Again, thanks to Richard Zander for allowing me to use his Taxacom
account to post this question regarding Botanical Latin:

In Latin there are endings -fer,-fera,-ferum, and -ger,-gera,-gerum,
both meaning '-bearing' in Latin compounds. I see in my English
dictionary that the comparable English ending is -ferous or -gerous.  I
am seeing many species epithets in Latin in the masculine singular in
-ferus and -gerus, after searching in the family Poaceae in the
International Plant Names Index - these endings are perhaps mistaken
applications of English endings to Latin ones.

Since in Latin the -ferus and -gerus ending is not, as far as I can
reference it, standard Latin, should these epithets be 'corrected' to
-fer and -ger in the masculine singular?  Or has 'botanical usage'
arisen to make -ferus and -gerus legitimate Latin endings in the
masculine singular?

Any assistance the readership may provide would be appreciated

P. M. Eckel

Patricia.eckel at mobot.org

*****************************
Richard H. Zander