[Taxacom] Terminology of trinomials

Curtis Clark jcclark-lists at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 1 17:51:51 CST 2008

On 2008-01-01 11:17, Andy Mabbett wrote:
> While the software issue did occur to me, I was thinking more of ease of
> learning for people new to taxonomy!

Not to be glib, but if it were easy, everyone would be doing it. The
difficulty of nomenclature is more of a bug than a feature, but there
are strong historical reasons that it turned out as it did.

Another thing to keep in mind for the species microformat is leniency:
How much deviation from standard nomenclatural practice will it permit.
The worst case would be if, on the one hand, it was easy to create an
ill-formed species name that still fit the DTD, but on the other hand,
there were correct species names that did not.