[Taxacom] Fungal pest of Opuntia

Monique Reed monique at mail.bio.tamu.edu
Tue Jan 8 11:06:01 CST 2008

Forwarding this to the list--If you have any information or can help,
please reply to the sender.  Thanks.
Monique Reed
>>> "Hans-Josef Schroers" <Hans.Schroers at kis.si> 1/4/2008 7:36 AM >>>

I am a mycologist/fungal taxonomist/plant pathologist working for the
Agricultural Institute of Slovenia.

I am currently interested in a fungus that was described from a cladode
of
an Opuntia sp. in Texas, San Antonio. Specifically I would be
interested
in fresh Opuntia material with this fungus, however, it would not
matter
so much whether the Opuntia plant grew in San Antonia or anywhere else
in
Texas.

The fungus is called Gloeosporium lunatum or sometimes Fusarium
dimerum
var. violaceum. I suspect that infected Opuntia species show either
dark
speckles or dark speckles covered by orange/slightly reddish fruiting
bodies (sporodochia) of the fungus or only orange/slightly reddish
sporodochia on upper parts of the cladodes. The orange/slightly reddish

sporodochia have a diameter of 100 to 300 micrometer.

I would be very grateful if you could forward this message to a kind
phytopathologist working with Opuntia diseases or if you could
recommend
somebody I could contact.=20

With many thanks and kind regards,

 Hans-Josef Schroers