[Taxacom] Identification Needed: Fruit from a Pacific island

Diana Horton diana-horton at uiowa.edu
Thu Jan 10 05:19:07 CST 2008

John Dransfield (Kew) identified it as a Metroxylon and suggested it
is probably M. sagu.  Many thanks to all who responded!

Yes, I do realize that a more specific locality would be helpful, but
when dealing with the public, one has to go with what (little) they
give you.  A local family contacted me after their father died
because this fruit was one of his treasured mementos from the time he
spent in the Pacific during World War II.  Their information on where
he was stationed is sketchy, although they believe that he spent some
time in the Philippines, Hawaii and on Johnston Island.  Since these
are such disparate localities and there is the possibility that he
was in additional localities, it seemed best to me to go no further
than to indicate it was collected somewhere in the Pacific.

-- diana