[Taxacom] Identification Needed: Fruit from a Pacific island

Geoff Read g.read at niwa.co.nz
Fri Jan 11 17:36:21 CST 2008

Ahah. The source of the reviled 'sago pudding' of my childhood (they put the starch through a sieve apparently to make
the little dry pellets).
As a widespread commercial crop rather than something endemic the island biogeography aspect wasn't important.

The 'fruit' can be seen at:

http://www.dkimages.com/discover/Home/Plants/Anatomy-and-Reproduction/Plant-Anatomy/Plant-Anatomy-101.html

Geoff

>>> "Jim Croft" <jrc at anbg.gov.au> 11/01/08 9:34 AM >>>
In this particular case, the sago palm, the source of starch is the
trunk, not the fruit.

jim