[Taxacom] AMNH, spiders, and LSIDs

Kevin Richards RichardsK at landcareresearch.co.nz
Sun Jan 13 22:56:22 CST 2008

David

The idea is that you shouldn't need to know the location of the LSID resolver - the standard resolution process uses DNS to locate it.
However, you can find the "location" of a resolver by doing a DNS SRV lookup on the authority, eg:
_lsid._tcp.amnh.org

and the result will give you the server location that hosts the LSID resolver.

I tried this however and have had no luck - either they have not set up a resolver, or I cannot access it from my location for some reason.

Kevin Richards

>>> "Shorthouse, David" <dshorthouse at eol.org> 14/01/2008 4:44:48 p.m. >>>

Folks,

I just noticed that Norm Platnick has begun tagging items in The World
Spider Catalog with LSIDs in square brackets. I'm assuming AMNH also now has
an LSID resolver. Can anyone point me to it? Is there a web service?

Thanks,

David P. Shorthouse

Encyclopedia of Life - WorkBench

MBL, Woods Hole, MA