[Taxacom] AMNH, spiders, and LSIDs

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Mon Jan 14 07:48:31 CST 2008

> are mostly functional.  But I wouldn't go quite so far as to brand
> such
> LSIDs (i.e., without functional resolution servers) as "fake" and
> imply they
> have no use.  Five or ten years from now; perhaps.  But right now,
> most of
> the would-be LSID issuers are still trying to get our heads around
> them, and
> how to serve and resolve them properly.

I take your point. But, if I was to publish a web site with lots of
URL links, none of which actually worked, would anybody take me
seriously? I suspect not. I wonder what the wider community is to
make of LSIDs which don't actually do anything ... might they wonder
what the fuss about LSIDs is all about?

Still, the World Catalogue is a fabulous resource, and I look forward
to functioning LSIDs.

Regards

Rod

Professor Roderic D. M. Page