[Taxacom] AMNH, spiders, and LSIDs

Ricardo Scachetti Pereira ricardo at tdwg.org
Tue Jan 15 06:59:03 CST 2008

    Hi all,

    In theory, there is nothing wrong with issuing LSIDs without
resolving them. The only hard and fast rule is that you cannot assign
the same LSID to more than one object.

    There are a couple of practical problems, however:

1) People will expect to be able to resolve the LSIDs they come across.
If you (or an automated agent) get a reference (LSID) to an object, you
(or the agent) may want to know what it points to, and you'll do that by
trying to resolve it. Applications will try to resolve them directly
using the LSID resolution protocol, while humans may try to resolve them
using a proxy, like http://lsid.tdwg.org/. If your LSID doesn't resolve,
that's a usability problem, much like the dreaded 404 error - page not
found. We've experienced an example of that when Rod and Kevin tried to
resolve the LSIDs given in the beginning of this thread.

2) There are also technical implications associated with the choice of
each part of the LSIDs one mints that affects the deployment of
resolvers. The best way to take these implications into consideration is
to try to deploy a resolver *while* you are defining the parts of your
LSIDs. If you define your LSIDs long before you deploy your resolver,
there will be technical consequences that you will have to live with
(forever!?) when you deploy your resolver. In a few cases, you may not
even be able to deploy the resolver at all (if you make a bad choice of
an LSID authority identification - the domain name in the LSID, for
example).

    That's why we recommend in the TDWG LSID Applicability Statement
that LSIDs should be resolvable (recommendation #6). You can find that
document at http://www.tdwg.org/standards/150 (click the "Download" link
- it's a MS-Word document for now as it is under review in the TDWG
Standards Track.)

    In the next few days we are about to release a set of LSID authority
implementation guides that addresses some of the issues I mention above.
Those documents will help people mint LSIDs but they won't replace good
hands-on experience that you get by deploying your resolvers.

    I hope this helps.

    Cheers,

Ricardo