[Taxacom] stop the ads from now please

SONG Yi Yi.Song at unine.ch
Tue Jan 15 07:51:00 CST 2008


 Dear Taxacom,

 I have found a position and don't need ads from your site anymore. Concerning the limit of my e-mail box, please stop the ads from now.

 Thanks a lot for many useful information.
 
Yi Song

 

________________________________

Von: taxacom-bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu im Auftrag von taxacom-request at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
Gesendet: Mo 2008-1-14 19:00
An: taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
Betreff: Taxacom Digest, Vol 22, Issue 11



Send Taxacom mailing list submissions to
        taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
        http://mailman.nhm.ku.edu/mailman/listinfo/taxacom
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
        taxacom-request at mailman.nhm.ku.edu

You can reach the person managing the list at
        taxacom-owner at mailman.nhm.ku.edu

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Taxacom digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. AMNH, spiders, and LSIDs (Shorthouse, David)
   2. Re: AMNH, spiders, and LSIDs (Kevin Richards)
   3. Re: AMNH, spiders, and LSIDs (Roderic Page)
   4. Re: AMNH, spiders, and LSIDs (Richard Pyle)
   5. Re: AMNH, spiders, and LSIDs (Norman I. Platnick)
   6. Re: AMNH, spiders, and LSIDs (Richard Pyle)
   7. Re: AMNH, spiders, and LSIDs (Roderic Page)
   8. Re: AMNH, spiders, and LSIDs (Paul Kirk)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 22:44:48 -0500
From: "Shorthouse, David" <dshorthouse at eol.org>
Subject: [Taxacom] AMNH, spiders, and LSIDs
To: <taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu>
Message-ID: <000d01c8565f$d09f1eb0$71dd5c10$@org>
Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="us-ascii"

Folks,



I just noticed that Norm Platnick has begun tagging items in The World
Spider Catalog with LSIDs in square brackets. I'm assuming AMNH also now has
an LSID resolver. Can anyone point me to it? Is there a web service?



Thanks,



David P. Shorthouse

------------------------------------------------------

Encyclopedia of Life - WorkBench

MBL, Woods Hole, MA

mailto:dshorthouse at eol.org

http://www.eol.org <http://www.eol.org/> 

http://www.canadianarachnology.org <http://www.canadianarachnology.org/> 

http://ispiders.blogspot.com <http://ispiders.blogspot.com/> 

------------------------------------------------------





------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 16:56:22 +1200
From: "Kevin Richards" <RichardsK at landcareresearch.co.nz>
Subject: Re: [Taxacom] AMNH, spiders, and LSIDs
To: "David Shorthouse" <dshorthouse at eol.org>,
        taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
Message-ID: <20080114T165622Z_6007000B0000 at landcareresearch.co.nz>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8

David

The idea is that you shouldn't need to know the location of the LSID resolver - the standard resolution process uses DNS to locate it.
However, you can find the "location" of a resolver by doing a DNS SRV lookup on the authority, eg:
_lsid._tcp.amnh.org

and the result will give you the server location that hosts the LSID resolver.

I tried this however and have had no luck - either they have not set up a resolver, or I cannot access it from my location for some reason.

Kevin Richards

>>> "Shorthouse, David" <dshorthouse at eol.org> 14/01/2008 4:44:48 p.m. >>>

Folks,



I just noticed that Norm Platnick has begun tagging items in The World
Spider Catalog with LSIDs in square brackets. I'm assuming AMNH also now has
an LSID resolver. Can anyone point me to it? Is there a web service?



Thanks,



David P. Shorthouse

------------------------------------------------------

Encyclopedia of Life - WorkBench

MBL, Woods Hole, MA

mailto:dshorthouse at eol.org

http://www.eol.org <http://www.eol.org/> 

http://www.canadianarachnology.org <http://www.canadianarachnology.org/> 

http://ispiders.blogspot.com <http://ispiders.blogspot.com/> 

------------------------------------------------------



_______________________________________________
Taxacom mailing list
Taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
http://mailman.nhm.ku.edu/mailman/listinfo/taxacom

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 08:48:31 +0000
From: Roderic Page <r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: [Taxacom] AMNH, spiders, and LSIDs
To: Kevin Richards <RichardsK at landcareresearch.co.nz>
Cc: taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
Message-ID: <DE54C7C8-DB72-441F-91C2-85AEF00DE5EE at bio.gla.ac.uk>
Content-Type: text/plain;       charset=US-ASCII;       delsp=yes;      format=flowed

Like Kevin, I can't resolve these either. My LSID tester  (http:// <http:///> 
darwin.zoology.gla.ac.uk/~rpage/lsid/ ) cannot find an authority to 
resolve them, hence in a sense they are "fake". I struggle to see 
what we gain from having fake LSIDs.

Regards

Rod


On 14 Jan 2008, at 04:56, Kevin Richards wrote:

> David
>
> The idea is that you shouldn't need to know the location of the 
> LSID resolver - the standard resolution process uses DNS to locate it.
> However, you can find the "location" of a resolver by doing a DNS 
> SRV lookup on the authority, eg:
> _lsid._tcp.amnh.org
>
> and the result will give you the server location that hosts the 
> LSID resolver.
>
> I tried this however and have had no luck - either they have not 
> set up a resolver, or I cannot access it from my location for some 
> reason.
>
> Kevin Richards
>
>>>> "Shorthouse, David" <dshorthouse at eol.org> 14/01/2008 4:44:48 
>>>> p.m. >>>
>
> Folks,
>
>
>
> I just noticed that Norm Platnick has begun tagging items in The World
> Spider Catalog with LSIDs in square brackets. I'm assuming AMNH 
> also now has
> an LSID resolver. Can anyone point me to it? Is there a web service?
>
>
>
> Thanks,
>
>
>
> David P. Shorthouse
>
> ------------------------------------------------------
>
> Encyclopedia of Life - WorkBench
>
> MBL, Woods Hole, MA
>
> mailto:dshorthouse at eol.org
>
> http://www.eol.org <http://www.eol.org/> 
>
> http://www.canadianarachnology.org <http://www.canadianarachnology.org/> 
>
> http://ispiders.blogspot.com <http://ispiders.blogspot.com/> 
>
> ------------------------------------------------------
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Taxacom mailing list
> Taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
> http://mailman.nhm.ku.edu/mailman/listinfo/taxacom
> _______________________________________________
> Taxacom mailing list
> Taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
> http://mailman.nhm.ku.edu/mailman/listinfo/taxacom
>

----------------------------------------
Professor Roderic D. M. Page
Editor, Systematic Biology
DEEB, IBLS
Graham Kerr Building
University of Glasgow
Glasgow G12 8QP
United Kingdom

Phone: +44 141 330 4778
Fax: +44 141 330 2792
email: r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
web: http://taxonomy.zoology.gla.ac.uk/rod/rod.html
iChat: aim://rodpage1962
reprints: http://taxonomy.zoology.gla.ac.uk/rod/pubs.html

Subscribe to Systematic Biology through the Society of Systematic
Biologists Website: http://systematicbiology.org <http://systematicbiology.org/> 
Search for taxon names: http://darwin.zoology.gla.ac.uk/~rpage/portal/
Find out what we know about a species: http://ispecies.org <http://ispecies.org/> 
Rod's rants on phyloinformatics: http://iphylo.blogspot.com <http://iphylo.blogspot.com/> 
Rod's rants on ants: http://semant.blogspot.com <http://semant.blogspot.com/> 





------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 23:35:53 -1000
From: "Richard Pyle" <deepreef at bishopmuseum.org>
Subject: Re: [Taxacom] AMNH, spiders, and LSIDs
To: "'Roderic Page'" <r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk>,    "'Kevin Richards'"
        <RichardsK at landcareresearch.co.nz>
Cc: taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
Message-ID: <001d01c85690$dbf5d660$6700a8c0 at RLPLaptop>
Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="us-ascii"


> in a sense they are
> "fake". I struggle to see what we gain from having fake LSIDs.


We gain an identifer (GUID).  Assuming there is a commitment to persist this
identifier with the object it identifies, that's half the battle. Resolution
is the other half of the battle. Yes, one of the reasons our community (at
least some of it) has embraced LSIDs (as opposed to, say UUIDs) is the
resolvability -- and certainly people who issue (and, more importantly,
expose) LSIDs should also commit to establishing resolution services that
are mostly functional.  But I wouldn't go quite so far as to brand such
LSIDs (i.e., without functional resolution servers) as "fake" and imply they
have no use.  Five or ten years from now; perhaps.  But right now, most of
the would-be LSID issuers are still trying to get our heads around them, and
how to serve and resolve them properly.

That said, I think it would be very worthwhile to send a note to people who
seem to be exposing LSIDs without functioning resolution services and make
sure they understand they are only fulfilling half of the promise of LSIDs;
and also direct them to resources that might guide them to rectifying their
shortcomings.  I like Kevin's idea of somehow delineating experimental LSIDs
from "real" LSIDs (I tried to make this point as well at one or both of the
TDWG/GBIF GUID workshops).

Aloha,
Rich





------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 07:55:31 -0500 (EST)
From: "Norman I. Platnick" <platnick at amnh.org>
Subject: Re: [Taxacom] AMNH, spiders, and LSIDs
To: "Richard Pyle" <deepreef at bishopmuseum.org>
Cc: taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
Message-ID: <3142.69.117.121.252.1200315331.squirrel at webmail.amnh.org>
Content-Type: text/plain;charset=iso-8859-1

Thanks, Richard.  I?m fully aware that AMNH does not yet have a
functioning LSID resolver; the folks who maintain our research site have
been charged with creating that facility.  Robert Raven (who handles the
database conversions of the spider catalog information) and I decided that
it was useful to make the LSIDs available to the arachnological community
in advance of that facility, so that our colleagues could begin to plan to
incorporate the LSIDs into their databases and websites.  Some of those
colleagues have been requesting such links for several years now, but we
preferred to wait until GBIF had announced the format decisions.  It is
certainly our intention that the LSIDs remain permanently attached to the
currently valid names, and also to new names, should synonymies,
transfers, or other nomenclatorial actions affect their validity.  The
spider catalog is updated on the web only twice a year, and since we had
the capability of adding the LSIDs now, we saw no reason to delay making
them available for another six months.

>direct them to resources that might guide them to rectifying their
>shortcomings
I would be delighted to pass any such directions along to the programmers
who will be creating the resolver, as I think so far they?ve found rather
scant resources available to help them!  Cheers, Norm Platnick

--
Dr. Norman I. Platnick
Peter J. Solomon Family Curator of Spiders
Division of Invertebrate Zoology
American Museum of Natural History
Central Park West at 79th Street
New York NY 10024

phone:  212-769-5612
fax:    212-769-5277
email:  platnick at amnh.org

See the World Spider Catalog, version 8.5, at
http://research.amnh.org/entomology/spiders/catalog/index.html

See the goblin spider Planetary Biodiversity Inventory website, at
http://research.amnh.org/oonopidae




------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 03:04:59 -1000
From: "Richard Pyle" <deepreef at bishopmuseum.org>
Subject: Re: [Taxacom] AMNH, spiders, and LSIDs
To: <platnick at amnh.org>
Cc: taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
Message-ID: <003401c856ae$12502680$6700a8c0 at RLPLaptop>
Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="us-ascii"


Thanks, Norm -- Glad to hear you're on the case!  I have a tiy bit of
experience/understanding in setting up LSID resolvers, and that continues to
grow. I learned basically everything I know about it from Kevin Richards,
and I am using code created by him written in MS VB.NET; so he is clearly in
a better position than I for responding (as are others in the context of
other platforms).  Kevin and I drafted some documents to help people
implement LSID resolvers, and I believe those resources (and others) are
available online (though I don't have the URLs handy).  Best place to start
would be http://www.tdwg.org/activities/guid/.

In any case, though I am clearly not the most knowledgable person (by any
stretch), I would certainly be willing to assist your programmers in any way
I can (my scope of insight, shallow though it is, is limited to IIS and
VB.NET implementations).

Aloha,
Rich

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Norman I. Platnick [mailto:platnick at amnh.org]
> Sent: Monday, January 14, 2008 2:56 AM
> To: Richard Pyle
> Cc: 'Roderic Page'; 'Kevin Richards'; taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
> Subject: Re: [Taxacom] AMNH, spiders, and LSIDs
>
> Thanks, Richard.  I'm fully aware that AMNH does not yet have
> a functioning LSID resolver; the folks who maintain our
> research site have been charged with creating that facility. 
> Robert Raven (who handles the database conversions of the
> spider catalog information) and I decided that it was useful
> to make the LSIDs available to the arachnological community
> in advance of that facility, so that our colleagues could
> begin to plan to incorporate the LSIDs into their databases
> and websites.  Some of those colleagues have been requesting
> such links for several years now, but we preferred to wait
> until GBIF had announced the format decisions.  It is
> certainly our intention that the LSIDs remain permanently
> attached to the currently valid names, and also to new names,
> should synonymies, transfers, or other nomenclatorial actions
> affect their validity.  The spider catalog is updated on the
> web only twice a year, and since we had the capability of
> adding the LSIDs now, we saw no reason to delay making them
> available for another six months.
>
> >direct them to resources that might guide them to rectifying their
> >shortcomings
> I would be delighted to pass any such directions along to the
> programmers who will be creating the resolver, as I think so
> far they've found rather scant resources available to help
> them!  Cheers, Norm Platnick
>
> --
> Dr. Norman I. Platnick
> Peter J. Solomon Family Curator of Spiders Division of
> Invertebrate Zoology American Museum of Natural History
> Central Park West at 79th Street New York NY 10024
>
> phone:  212-769-5612
> fax:    212-769-5277
> email:  platnick at amnh.org
>
> See the World Spider Catalog, version 8.5, at
> http://research.amnh.org/entomology/spiders/catalog/index.html
>
> See the goblin spider Planetary Biodiversity Inventory
> website, at http://research.amnh.org/oonopidae
>





------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 13:48:31 +0000
From: Roderic Page <r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: [Taxacom] AMNH, spiders, and LSIDs
To: Richard Pyle <deepreef at bishopmuseum.org>
Cc: taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu, 'Kevin Richards'
        <RichardsK at landcareresearch.co.nz>
Message-ID: <BE59B591-16C9-4785-B722-250347D8E515 at bio.gla.ac.uk>
Content-Type: text/plain;       charset=US-ASCII;       delsp=yes;      format=flowed

> are mostly functional.  But I wouldn't go quite so far as to brand 
> such
> LSIDs (i.e., without functional resolution servers) as "fake" and 
> imply they
> have no use.  Five or ten years from now; perhaps.  But right now, 
> most of
> the would-be LSID issuers are still trying to get our heads around 
> them, and
> how to serve and resolve them properly.
>

I take your point. But, if I was to publish a web site with lots of 
URL links, none of which actually worked, would anybody take me 
seriously? I suspect not. I wonder what the wider community is to 
make of LSIDs which don't actually do anything ... might they wonder 
what the fuss about LSIDs is all about?

Still, the World Catalogue is a fabulous resource, and I look forward 
to functioning LSIDs.

Regards

Rod



----------------------------------------
Professor Roderic D. M. Page
Editor, Systematic Biology
DEEB, IBLS
Graham Kerr Building
University of Glasgow
Glasgow G12 8QP
United Kingdom

Phone: +44 141 330 4778
Fax: +44 141 330 2792
email: r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
web: http://taxonomy.zoology.gla.ac.uk/rod/rod.html
iChat: aim://rodpage1962
reprints: http://taxonomy.zoology.gla.ac.uk/rod/pubs.html

Subscribe to Systematic Biology through the Society of Systematic
Biologists Website: http://systematicbiology.org <http://systematicbiology.org/> 
Search for taxon names: http://darwin.zoology.gla.ac.uk/~rpage/portal/
Find out what we know about a species: http://ispecies.org <http://ispecies.org/> 
Rod's rants on phyloinformatics: http://iphylo.blogspot.com <http://iphylo.blogspot.com/> 
Rod's rants on ants: http://semant.blogspot.com <http://semant.blogspot.com/> 





------------------------------

Message: 8
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 13:56:13 -0000
From: "Paul Kirk" <p.kirk at cabi.org>
Subject: Re: [Taxacom] AMNH, spiders, and LSIDs
To: "Roderic Page" <r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk>,      "Richard Pyle"
        <deepreef at bishopmuseum.org>
Cc: taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu, Kevin Richards
        <RichardsK at landcareresearch.co.nz>
Message-ID: <80C46A9ABA47964B814D711D55AA910C240FD4 at ukcex.cabi.org>
Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="us-ascii"

Why is the web site update only on a six month cycle? Six months is a
long time in ... taxonomy ... ;-)

Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: taxacom-bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
[mailto:taxacom-bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu] On Behalf Of Roderic Page
Sent: 14 January 2008 13:49
To: Richard Pyle
Cc: taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu; 'Kevin Richards'
Subject: Re: [Taxacom] AMNH, spiders, and LSIDs

> are mostly functional.  But I wouldn't go quite so far as to brand
> such LSIDs (i.e., without functional resolution servers) as "fake" and

> imply they have no use.  Five or ten years from now; perhaps.  But
> right now, most of the would-be LSID issuers are still trying to get
> our heads around them, and how to serve and resolve them properly.
>

I take your point. But, if I was to publish a web site with lots of URL
links, none of which actually worked, would anybody take me seriously? I
suspect not. I wonder what the wider community is to make of LSIDs which
don't actually do anything ... might they wonder what the fuss about
LSIDs is all about?

Still, the World Catalogue is a fabulous resource, and I look forward to
functioning LSIDs.

Regards

Rod



----------------------------------------
Professor Roderic D. M. Page
Editor, Systematic Biology
DEEB, IBLS
Graham Kerr Building
University of Glasgow
Glasgow G12 8QP
United Kingdom

Phone: +44 141 330 4778
Fax: +44 141 330 2792
email: r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
web: http://taxonomy.zoology.gla.ac.uk/rod/rod.html
iChat: aim://rodpage1962
reprints: http://taxonomy.zoology.gla.ac.uk/rod/pubs.html

Subscribe to Systematic Biology through the Society of Systematic
Biologists Website: http://systematicbiology.org <http://systematicbiology.org/>  Search for taxon names:
http://darwin.zoology.gla.ac.uk/~rpage/portal/
Find out what we know about a species: http://ispecies.org <http://ispecies.org/>  Rod's rants
on phyloinformatics: http://iphylo.blogspot.com <http://iphylo.blogspot.com/>  Rod's rants on ants:
http://semant.blogspot.com <http://semant.blogspot.com/> 



_______________________________________________
Taxacom mailing list
Taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
http://mailman.nhm.ku.edu/mailman/listinfo/taxacom
************************************************************************
The information contained in this e-mail and any files transmitted with it is confidential and is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient please note that any distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is prohibited.

Whilst CAB International trading as CABI takes steps to prevent the transmission of viruses via e-mail, we cannot guarantee that any e-mail or attachment is free from computer viruses and you are strongly advised to undertake your own anti-virus precautions.

If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by e-mail at cabi at cabi.org or by telephone on +44 (0)1491 829199 and then delete the e-mail and any copies of it.

CABI is an International Organization recognised by the UK Government under Statutory Instrument 1982 No. 1071.

**************************************************************************





------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Taxacom Mailing List
Taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
http://mailman.nhm.ku.edu/mailman/listinfo/taxacom


End of Taxacom Digest, Vol 22, Issue 11
***************************************






More information about the Taxacom mailing list