[Taxacom] SEM technician job opening
Winston, Judith (VMNH)
Judith.Winston at vmnh.virginia.gov
Tue Jan 15 14:59:33 CST 2008
Job opportunity at Virginia Museum of Natural History.
Posted: January 7, 2008
SEM Lab Technician
(Role Title: Laboratory & Research Specialist II)
Position # 00087 Salary Range:
Pay Band 4
Location: Martinsville, VA Salary Range:
The mission of the Virginia Museum of Natural History is to interpret
Virginia's natural heritage within a global context in ways that are
relevant to all the citizens of the Commonwealth.
More information about our institution is available at
An exceptional job opportunity with the Virginia Museum of Natural
History is now available.
The Virginia Museum of Natural History is seeking an SEM Lab Technician
to operate and perform basic maintenance on our Zeiss EVO 60 SEM low
vacuum with EDAX and associated preparation equipment. The position is
full-time with an excellent state benefits package. This is a
grant-funded position from June 1, 2008, to May 31, 2011, with possible
If you meet the qualifications for SEM Lab Technician, we invite you to
apply to join our staff.
* Operate Zeiss EVO 60 SEM low vacuum with EDAX.
* Acquire secondary and backscatter electron images from a wide
variety of samples.
* Perform gun alignment and basic instrument maintenance and
* Use image analysis to evaluate images from electron microscopes.
* Execute qualitative and quantitative elemental analysis via
energy dispersive spectroscopy using a variety of software packages.
* Perform calibration of detectors and monitor detector
* Analyze and report accurate results for VMNH staff and other
customers in a timely manner.
* Prepare samples for analysis using appropriate techniques.
* Maintain a current knowledge of site operational and safety
policies and procedures.
* Actively participate in promoting safety and cleanliness in the
* Familiarity with equipment, methods and techniques appropriate
* Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
* Demonstrated data organization skills.
* Computer literacy and knowledge of MS Office.
* Ability to organize, prioritize, and complete multiple
* Master's degree in science or engineering and/or related field.
* Two or more years experience in operating a Zeiss EVO 60 SEM low
vacuum with EDAX.
* Knowledge of basic preventative maintenance on assigned
* Knowledge of laboratory computer software, including word
processing, database and spreadsheet applications and image analysis
* Skill in the use of specified laboratory instrumentation.
The selected candidate will be required to undergo periodic training on
operation and maintenance of the SEM.
The Commonwealth of Virginia online employment application is available
Only online applications are accepted. If you need computer or Internet
access or assistance in completing the online application, please
contact the Human Resources Office at 276-634-4158. Applications must
be submitted by 5 p.m. February 8, 2008.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are
afforded equal opportunities without regard to sex, race, color,
religion, national origin, age or disability. The successful applicant
must furnish proof of identity and employment eligibility and is subject
to a background check.
More information about the Taxacom