[Taxacom] Biodiversity Collections Index

Gail Kampmeier gkamp at uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 16 13:12:09 CST 2008

Hi Roger!

I wondered if you were aware of the efforts of the US National
Science Foundation in this endeavor?  When I attended the AIBS
(American Institute of Biological Sciences) Council meeting last May,
the following was presented

Progress report: Interagency Working Group on Scientific Collections
and its Activities
* Judith Skog, Deputy Division Director, Division for Biological
Infrastructure, National
Science Foundation

AIBS met in conjunction with the Natural Science Collections Alliance
http://www.nscalliance.org/index.asp, who also had a presentation on
this topic, where the groups were going to be working together.  At
least as far as the North American (beyond??) collections go, they
had questionnaires etc. that they were prepared to distribute on this
topic.

I don't have my notes from this meeting at my fingertips, but it
seems that if you haven't already, that joining forces here would
make a lot of sense.  Here is a link that NSCA provided on its
website http://www.nscalliance.org/new_noteworthy.asp#15, which
references the website they have started...
http://www.CollectionsWeb.org/

Cheers!
Gail