[Taxacom] online access to abiotic factor data (Taxacom Digest, Vol 22, Issue 16)

Tim Dickinson tim.dickinson at utoronto.ca
Sun Jan 20 12:59:18 CST 2008

hi philippe--- the international water management institute has an
online query tool that you might find helpful
(http://www.iwmi.cgiar.org/WAtlas/AtlasQuery.htm). my grad student,
eugenia lo, discovered it, and we have used it to obtain meteorological
data for sites from which we have collected crataegus spp.
> The new IWMI Climate Atlas Web Query (CAWQuer) service creates on-line
> climate summaries for user-specified locations. All you have to do is
> enter the latitude and longitude coordinates for the location(s)
> you're interested in and specify which climate variables are needed.
> CAWQuer then searches over 8 gigabytes of data in the IWMI Atlas to
> deliver climate summaries almost instantly.
as a result of this use i can say that while it is convenient, it
provides *interpolated* data that may be inaccurate in detail, while not
in overall pattern. iwmi also provides software (and data) for download,
but i have found the accompanying explanatory text to be insufficient to
my needs as a potential user.

another tool that i found out about from a graduate student in mexico is
FloraMap (http://www.floramap-ciat.org/). it also is a package of data
and software, in this case available for a modest charge on a cd. altho
a manual is provided, i found that using it required more effort than i
could spare in the absence of another, more experienced user to call
upon for help. the manual for floramap is much more comprehensive than
the documentation accompanying the iwmi product, and provides many more
hints about the limitations of the data and the caution with which their
analyses should be interpreted.

---tad.

taxacom-request at mailman.nhm.ku.edu wrote:
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. From geodesic coordinates to abiotical factors (Philippe Golay)

> Dear Taxacom members,
>
> is there any software or application able, starting from a list of geodesic
> coordinates (localities), to retrieve climatic data such as : average annual
> temperatures, average annual precipitations, average annual
> evapotranspiration, average annual wet-bulb temperatures, absolute and
> relative humidity?
>
> The localities are situated in the following countries : Spain, France,
> Switzerland, Germany and Italy.
>
> Thank you.
> Cordially.
>
> Philippe
>
> SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
> Philippe GOLAY
> Secrétaire / Secretary
> Fondation Culturelle / Cultural Foundation Elapsoïdea

<++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
<Tim Dickinson
<ROM Green Plant Herbarium (TRT)
<
<Department of Natural History
<Royal Ontario Museum
<100 Queen's Park
<Toronto  ON
<CANADA  M5S 2C6
<
<Phone:  (416) 586 8032     FAX:  (416) 586 7921
<E-mail:  tim.dickinson at utoronto.ca