[Taxacom] emelianovi or emeljanovi

Soowon Cho chosoowon at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 15:44:12 CST 2008

Dear members,

I have a question on this nomenclature problem.  This cercopid species,
Limois emelianovi Oshanin was, according to the paper, named after A.A.
Emelianov by Oshanin in 1908.  The problem is that someone (I don't know
who, but it was in ITIS site) referred this and said it should be Limois
emeljanovi, probably due to a misspelling of the name. In the original
description written in German, it stated as follows:
1906 von A. A. Emelianov bei Vladivostok gefangen und von ihm dem
Zoologischen Museum zum Geschenk ubergeben.

My question is if what is the correct spelling of this Russian person,
Emelianov, Emeljanov, or Emel'yanov?  Is there any chance that Emelianov is
an English-translated name of Emeljanov or something? Is it absolutely a
misspelling?
If I understood the ICZN correctly, I should follow the corrected spelling
(emeljanovi) rather than apparently misspelled name (emelianovi). Please
give me an advice on this confusion.
Sincerely,
--
Soowon Cho