[Taxacom] emelianovi or emeljanovi

Thomas Pape TPape at snm.ku.dk
Mon Jan 28 16:16:37 CST 2008

The Code states that the original spelling of a name should be
maintained unless it is demonstrably incorrect from evidence in the
original publication itself.

If the original spelling of the species-group name is "Limois
emelianovi", and if the original paper mentions that the species is
named after "A. A. Emelianov", it does not matter if the correct
spelling/transliteration (however evaluated) of the man's name is
Emelianov, Emeljanov or Emel'yanov. What count is the original spelling
and whether there is INTERNAL evidence of an inadvertent error.

As this does not seem to be the case, the spelling "emelianovi" is
correct and should be used.

Thomas Pape
Natural History Museum of Denmark