[Taxacom] bodiversity informatica

Mark Costello markcost at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 21:38:19 CST 2008

Hello taxacom manager,

I have been involved in 3 Ocean Biodiversity Informatics conferences and the
question of a listserv for communication between meetings increasingly
arises. I am now involved in an international biodiversity informatics
conference planned for early 2009 and the question again arises.  Related
lists are the many taxon specifc ones, various project lists, TDWG, and
taxacom. I just subscribed to taxacom and on reviewing the archive it does
include a lot of biodiversity informatics emails, and I know many of the
correspondents have such interests. It also includes taxonomic items (pure
taxonomy nomenclature, molecular analysis)  that are probably of little
interest to people involved in biodiversity informatics.

I run 3 other listservs (marine biodiversity, sea lice research and control,
environmental sciences in Ireland) with online archiving  and could set up
one on biodiversity informatics. However, I do not want to duplicate other
lists.  So my question is whether we promote the use of taxacom for
biodiversity informatics news and discussions amongst the past and future
conference delegates rather than form a new list? This may increase taxacom
subscribers and traffic, but my guess most of the additional traffic will
interest at least a portion of present members.

Best wishes

Mark

><>  ><>  ><>  ><>  ><>  ><>  ><>  ><>  ><> ><>
Dr Mark J. Costello, Associate Professor,
Leigh Marine Laboratory, University of Auckland,
PO Box 349, Warkworth 0941, New Zealand.
[Delivery address 160 Goat Island Road, Leigh, New Zealand]
Direct tel. +64-9-3737599 ext 83608; Reception +64-9-422 6111
Fax +64-9-422 6113; Email m.costello at auckland.ac.nz

Skype: markcostello
Website www.marine.auckland.ac.nz <http://www.marine.auckland.ac.nz/>
Other websites:

Chair of the Ocean Biogeographic Information System www.iobis.org
<http://www.iobis.org/> .
Secretary General of the International Association of Biological
Oceanography www.iabo.org <http://www.iabo.org/> .
Chair of the World Register of Marine Species and Chief Editor of the
European Register of Marine Species www.marinespecies.org

Chair of the Society for the Management of European Biodiversity Data
www.smebd.eu <http://www.smebd.eu/>
Manager of Marine Research Information (email) NEtwork on biodiversity;
archives at https://listserv.heanet.ie/marine-b.html.

The University of Auckland 1883-2008: Celebrating 125 Years