[Taxacom] bodiversity informatica

Roger Hyam (TDWG) rogerhyam at mac.com
Tue Jan 29 06:36:15 CST 2008

Here I agree with both Paddy and Anna.

General discussions of functionality - what systems do, what they
should do and what they should not do etc - should probably occur on
Taxacom.

Discussions of how they do it (techie stuff) or detailed discussions
of controlled vocabularies etc - should probably be somewhere else and
TDWG has built a collaboration environment of wikis and mailing lists
to facilitate precisely this kind of activity.

Roger

On 29 Jan 2008, at 11:37, David Patterson wrote:

> I very much favour the use of Taxacom for biodiversity
> informatics dialog - for two reasons.
>
> Many of the developments are focussed on the needs of
> taxonomists
>
> Taxonomists have always been the biodiversity information
> managers, and the viability of the community will depend
> on them maintaining that role in the e-world.
>
> David Patterson
>

> On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 16:38:19 +1300
>  Mark Costello <markcost at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello taxacom manager,
>>

>> I have been involved in 3 Ocean Biodiversity Informatics
>> conferences and the
>> question of a listserv for communication between
>> meetings increasingly
>> arises. I am now involved in an international
>> biodiversity informatics
>> conference planned for early 2009 and the question again
>> arises.  Related
>> lists are the many taxon specifc ones, various project
>> lists, TDWG, and
>> taxacom. I just subscribed to taxacom and on reviewing
>> the archive it does
>> include a lot of biodiversity informatics emails, and I
>> know many of the
>> correspondents have such interests. It also includes
>> taxonomic items (pure
>> taxonomy nomenclature, molecular analysis)  that are
>> probably of little
>> interest to people involved in biodiversity informatics.
>>

>> I run 3 other listservs (marine biodiversity, sea lice
>> research and control,
>> environmental sciences in Ireland) with online archiving
>> and could set up
>> one on biodiversity informatics. However, I do not want
>> to duplicate other
>> lists.  So my question is whether we promote the use of
>> taxacom for
>> biodiversity informatics news and discussions amongst
>> the past and future
>> conference delegates rather than form a new list? This
>> may increase taxacom
>> subscribers and traffic, but my guess most of the
>> additional traffic will
>> interest at least a portion of present members.
>>

>> Best wishes
>>
>> Mark
>>

>>> <>  ><>  ><>  ><>  ><>  ><>  ><>  ><>  ><> ><>
>> Dr Mark J. Costello, Associate Professor,
>> Leigh Marine Laboratory, University of Auckland,
>> PO Box 349, Warkworth 0941, New Zealand.
>> [Delivery address 160 Goat Island Road, Leigh, New
>> Zealand]
>> Direct tel. +64-9-3737599 ext 83608; Reception +64-9-422
>> 6111
>> Fax +64-9-422 6113; Email m.costello at auckland.ac.nz
>>
>> Skype: markcostello
>> Website www.marine.auckland.ac.nz
>> <http://www.marine.auckland.ac.nz/>
>> Other websites:
>>
>> Chair of the Ocean Biogeographic Information System
>> www.iobis.org
>> <http://www.iobis.org/> .
>> Secretary General of the International Association of
>> Biological
> [...]

Roger Hyam
Roger at BiodiversityCollectionsIndex.org
http://www.BiodiversityCollectionsIndex.org