[Taxacom] bodiversity informatica

Richard Jensen rjensen at saintmarys.edu
Tue Jan 29 07:54:00 CST 2008

Mark Costello wrote:

"It [taxacom] also includes taxonomic items (pure taxonomy nomenclature,
molecular analysis) that are probably of little interest to people
involved in biodiversity informatics."

I'm surprised, and disheartened, that those working in biodiversity
informatics would view these topics as "of little interest." The rules
of nomenclature apply directly to the very organisms that biodiversity
informatics incorporates as the bases for their work. Further, our
knowledge of the status of, and relationships among, these organisms are
greatly enhanced by molecular analyses of the sort often discussed on
taxacom.

What have I missed with respect to the fundamental goals of biodiversity
informatics?

Cheers,

Dick J

Richard Jensen, Professor