[Taxacom] Linnaeus' first insect = wrong question

Thompson, Chris Chris.Thompson at ARS.USDA.GOV
Tue Jan 29 08:29:20 CST 2008

David:

The problem is WHAT is your definition of Linnaeus' first insect?

In Systema Naturae, 10th Edition, the official start of Zoological
Nomenclature, Linnaeus has 191 species of flies.

So, which is the FIRST fly?

To me that is a dumb question as they are ALL FIRST by definition. What
the public needs to know is that Linnaeus was aware of many different
kinds of flies. So ...

What is more important are the kinds of flies that Linnaeus knew.

The most curious in respect to history, is Musca cellaris, described on
page 597. Today this name is forgotten due to the fear of geneticists
who don't want to recognize the fact that Linnaeus knew Drosophila
melanogaster (Meigen 1830). Linneaus loved wine and beer, and described
the little flies which are attracted to fermented fruits as Musca
cellaris, the fly of the wine cellars. Later Kirby and Spence put this
species in its own genus, Oinopota (from the Greek for wine drinker). So
by the Official rules of Nomenclature (ICZN) Linnaeus never knew
Drosophila nor the species was unknown to the authors of the first text
in Entomology. But ...

I think it is these kinds of stories that the public will like more than
just an arbitrarily declaring that Linnaeus' first fly was Oestrus bovis
(cattle bot) simply because it is the first fly listed in Systema
Naturae (page 584).

For the record, the first insect listed in Systema Naturae, 10th
Edition, is Scarabaeus Hercules (Hercules Beetle) on page 345.

F. Christian Thompson
Systematic Entomology Lab., ARS, USDA
c/o Smithsonian Institution MRC-0169
PO Box 37012