Robert Huber rhuber at wdc-mare.org
Tue Jul 1 15:49:54 CDT 2008

Hi Dave,

There is the TDWG TCS based ontology for taxon names (
http://rs.tdwg.org/ontology/voc/TaxonName) which is used for LSID metadata
which could be used for your example..

best regards,
Robert

2008/7/1 Dave Vieglais <vieglais at ku.edu>:

> The W3C candidate recommendation RDFa (
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-rdfa-primer/ ) provides some guidelines for
> embedding RDF markup (i.e. data) within HTML (i.e. a visual rendering)
> that while not directly related to the question over language tags
> (which, since scientific names are by definition language neutral, do
> not require, and so should not have, a language tag), is nonetheless a
> useful strategy that can be adopted at low expense by this community.
>
> Using RDFa,  one could write:

>   xmlns:dc='http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/'>
>          property='dc:identifier'>urn:lsid:catalogueoflife.org:
> taxon:df2ca61e-29c1-102b-9a4a-00304854f820:ac2008</span>
> stars in the highly acclaimed
> film
>  &quot;<span property='dc:title'>Cane Toads</span>&quot;
> by
>
> instead of:
>
>  Bufo marinus stars in the highly acclaimed 1988 film "Cane Toads" by
> Mark Lewis.
>
> To the human reader, the information is the same, but the individual
> data elements are readily identified as something interesting by a
> parser. Microformats and GRDDL provide similar mechanisms, though it
> is not clear which if any, is "better" though all prevail over the
> current situation with no data markup.
>
> To be useful, this example does of course require at least a
> vocabulary defining the elements "ScientificName" and "organism" which
> in this example exist within the fictitious namespace of
> "http://tdw.org/tcs/elements/1.0/".  This issue remains regardless of
> which mechanism is used to express the content (pure RDF, RDFa, GRDDL,
> microformats).  Hopefully I am wrong in that such a vocabulary has not
> yet been defined by the TDWG (or some other group) and someone could
> direct interested implementers to the appropriate locations for this
> information and perhaps even some recommendations for HTML authors on
> how they can utilize such definitions within their documents.
>
> regards,
>  Dave V.

Dr. Robert Huber,

WDC-MARE / PANGAEA - www.pangaea.de
Stratigraphy.net - www.stratigraphy.net
MARUM - Institute for Marine Environmental Sciences (location)
University Bremen
Leobener Strasse
POP 330 440
28359 Bremen
Phone ++49 421 218-65593, Fax ++49 421 218-65505
e-mail rhuber at wdc-mare.org